Lightpool Festival Production Manager - Phil Holmes
• befits the grandeur, wackiness and the warmth of welcome of the world-famous Blackpool Illuminations
• reconnects residents of Fylde and Wyre to the Illuminations through inclusive and inspiring programming
• develops new visiting audiences to experience the town-centre on foot
• change perceptions about Blackpool for the better, and demonstrate - particularly to young people, that there is meaningful opportunity to engage with arts and culture
• connect Blackpool’s cultural venues through light
To complement this we will run a programme of live performances each night, all related to light and fire, with talent coming from the UK and abroad. Fire with Tango, highly explosive percussion performances, illuminated parades and processions.
Light art festivals are a phenomenon spreading across the globe, and just in the North of England you may well have heard of Lumiere in Durham, Light Up Lancaster, Illuminating York, Light Night Leeds and many others.
The LightPool festival will take place in the spiritual home of illuminations. By running for just a few days, the festival allows us to present different sorts of work. It means we can transform the town centre into a playground for people to explore. By being free to attend, the LightPool Festival 2018 will offer a wonderful opportunity for whole families to experience something different. A number of works will be made with different communities in Blackpool, telling stories about the town and the people who live here.